Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Love... and carbohydrates

OK, so I've been trying to post, getting frustrated, and walking away...  for probably two weeks now.  I thought I had something profound to share, but now can't for the life of me remember.  Apparently it wasn't so important.  Which leads me to sit here and wonder what really is important.  I know that it's not how clean my house is, or even the stuff that sits inside it.  An Amish proverb states something to the effect of 'teaching your kids to count is fine, teaching them what counts is better.'  I know that what I teach my children is important is implied less in what I say and more in what I do.  :)


Buttercup, Meatball and Stir-Fry
It's been a season of change for us, moving away from long summer boating trips and camping 'vacations' to being home bound with the addition of real farm animals.  (I was told that though chickens are a lot of work, they don't make us a working farm!)  My hubby even asked me, "Are there other farmy-type animals we could get?  Do you want a goat?" 

This season of change has me getting out of bed at the same time every day- well, except for Sunday, which is EARLIER!  Those of you who've known me for a while now know that morning isn't a time of day that I like to experience.  But I'm up, and outside, by 7am to bottle feed the cows, and move them out of the barn into their field.  Most days, believe it or not, I don't even go back to bed when I'm done.  :)  And that's a real feat.  But it all comes back to one thing: love.

My eldest recently told me that he knows I love him because I go grocery shopping so I can make him food, because I do his laundry, and because I teach him things like how to read.  Yes, those are all acts of love.  It was interesting to me that he didn't cite the fact that I hug him, take him places, buy him gifts, or tell him that I love him.  He really enjoys all of those things, but he equates how I spend MY time with how I love him and others. 

What I do tells him what is important.  He sees me using my time to love, and I think that's pretty powerful! 

So what am I doing other than feeding small animals, outrageous amounts of yard work, grocery shopping, folding laundry, and homeschooling my kids??  Baking.  Lots and lots of baking!  (And I made butter this week!)  So here are a couple of easy favorites.

Almond Joy Brownies
You need:
1 1/2 C flour
3/4 C cocoa
3/4 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C almonds
1/2 C shredded coconut
1/2 C chocolate syrup
1/2 - 3/4 C oil
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix well.  Spread into greased baking pan. (It will be stiff) Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes.  :)



yummm!

Oatmeal Spice Cookies
(This is truly a group of approximates.  I don't actually have a real recipe.)

You need:
1 C each: shortening and brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1tsp each: vanilla, baking soda, ground cloves, cinnamon
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp each: salt and ginger
2 1/2 C oatmeal
about 1/2 -3/4 C nuts

Cream shortening and sugars, add eggs and vanilla.  Mix in spices, then flour, salt, and soda.  Add oats and nuts last.  Bake at 350 until the bottoms start to brown and the tops don't shake when you move the pan.



 
Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Great with that homemade butter :)

For one loaf you need:

1 C hot water
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs honey
1 Tbs vital wheat gluten
1Tsp salt
3-4 C whole wheat flour
1 Tbs yeast

Optionally
1/2 C each: chopped walnuts and almonds, sunflower seeds

Mix ingredients together in order, utilizing only 1/2 the wheat flour until all are incorporated.  Be mindful that when using whole grain flour, you want a sticky-ish dough or it won't rise.  Knead (8 minutes in your stand mixer).  Let rise, covered, until at least doubled.  Deflate dough, and press into a greased loaf pan.  Let rise until about 1" over the top edge of the pan.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 


~Let love be without hypocrisy.  Abhor what is evil.  Cling to what is good.  Romans 12:9~

No comments:

Post a Comment