Monday, January 31, 2011

Behold! The power of cheeeeeeeeeeeez....

It's sunny and cold.  I've got the front door open and the fresh air drifting in.  The fresh 35 degree air.  Did I mention that it's cold?  I'm starting my spring 'prep'; that time of year when I make sure that every surface in my house gets wiped, scrubbed, vacuumed and disinfected once a week.  A little compulsive, maybe?  Do we get sick a lot in my house?  No.  (Not to mention that I'm almost always prepared for company!)  But what do I do with the rest of my time?  Seeing as how I've yet to meet a carbohydrate that I didn't like, I bake.  Breads, cookies, cakes, muffins, cookies, breads....  it's amazing. 

So now that I plan on baking all day, (and night for the next week) what am I going to make for dinner?  Cheese.  It's simple, abundant, and full of goodness.

Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
You can go about this one of two main ways:
You can open two cans of condensed cheese soup, add milk and cauliflower or.....

Make cheese sauce.  Shred a cup (or two) of cheddar cheese, and melt in milk with just a little butter.  Once the cheese is melted and the two are well combined, stir in your cauliflower.  A whole head is best.  Once the cauliflower is the tenderness you prefer, stir in some cornstarch to thicken your masterpiece into soup.  Salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with extra cheddar.

Other cheese masterpieces??? 

Herb and Cheese French Bread


The wonders of yeast.....

5 tsp fast acting yeast
6 cups bread flour
3 cups warm (120 deg) water
2 tbs butter, melted in said water
1 tbs salt
1 tbs sugar
Italian herbs of choice, together, about a heaping palm full
shredded cheese

Let your yeast stand alone a bowl until it reaches room temperature.  Stir with flour.  Add salt, sugar, herbs and some cheese, stir again.  Stir in water/butter mixture.   When well mixed, roll out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.  Place in greased bowl and cover.  Let rise until at least doubled. 

Wait patiently, my friend.

Re-knead your dough, then form into your loaves, boules, or pans, cut across tops and sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and let rise again. 

When it has about doubled again, bake at about 400 until they sound hollow when tapped on.




~ She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:27 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment